Public and school holidaysIn Paraná, most companies, public offices, banks and shops are closed on the following days:
• New Year´s Day/Universal Fraternity Day (1st January)
• Carnival (Second week of February, days may vary)
• Good Friday (2nd April)
• Easter (8th April in 2012)
• Labour Day (1st May)
• Corpus Christi (3rd June)
• Independence of Brazil (7th September)
• Nossa Senhora Aparecida (12th October)
• Finados/Day of the Dead (2nd November)
• Proclamation of the Republic (15th November)
• Christmas (25th December)
Several tourist attractions open on holidays. However, you should check all dates prior to planning your trip.
School holidays are in December, January and July. Visitor frequency at some tourist attractions increases during these periods, especially in the coast or west of Paraná.
Each Brazilian municipality has a Patron Saint according to the Catholic religion which is very representative in Brazil. The day of the Patron Saint is a holiday in the respective municipality. Click here for a list of public holidays and Patron Saint days in the municipalities of Paraná.